Arrests made in connection with death of La. officer

OAN Newsroom
UPDATED 7:49 AM PT — Thursday, January 17, 2019

Authorities have arrested the man they say recently killed a rookie police officer in northwestern Louisiana. This comes just a week after 22-year-old Shreveport Police Officer Chatéri Payne was brutally shot as she was heading to work.

On Wednesday, authorities announced they arrested her boyfriend — 26-year-old Treveon Anderson. He was taken into custody Tuesday night along with 22-year-old Lawrence Pierre, and 38-year-old Glenn Frierson.

38-year-old Glenn Frierson (Left), 26-year-old Trevon Anderson (Middle), and 22-year-old Lawrence Pierre (Right) now face charges of second degree murder. (Image courtesy of Shreveport Police Department/Facebook)

“Anderson shot and killed her and concocted the false narrative of her being murdered by an unknown suspect,” announced Shreveport Police Chief Ben Raymon.

On the night of the shooting, Anderson originally told investigators he was inside the home when he heard gunshots. He claimed he then ran outside and proceeded to shoot at an unknown assailant, who he said was dressed in all black. That’s when he allegedly noticed his injured girlfriend and called 9-1-1.

Officers arrived to find Payne wounded while in her police uniform. She was then rushed to a nearby hospital, where she later died.

After giving a statement to detectives, Anderson was released. However, police say during their investigation Lawrence Pierre, who’s also Anderson’s cousin, admitted to being present during the shooting. Pierre claimed to have seen Anderson shoot his girlfriend multiple times.

Pierre also took authorities to where he hid the weapon allegedly used in the murder.

“This is the time for us tome come united as a community and support the family of Officer Payne,” stated Chief Raymon. “The news of having arrested her murderers does not mean our job has ended — this is a small sense of relief, because the fact is a young lady, a young mother, a young daughter,a young officer in the prime of her life was killed in a senseless act of violence.”

Police say Anderson and Payne have a child together, who was inside the home during the incident. According to friends on social media, the pair was also engaged.

Payne had just finished her cadet training back in November, and had been working as a police officer for just under two-months when she died. Officials say the motive for the killing is still under investigation.

Source link